Sweet Grass Dairy Green Hill
Hand-crafted on the Wehner family farm in Thomasville, Georgia, this decadent double-crème bloomy rind is unlike any other we’ve ever tasted. Sweet Grass Dairy was one of the first American farms to implement ‘Rotational Grazing,’ a New England style grazing system. In this system, “cows are moved around the farm into a new field every 12 hours and kept cool under a pivot system.” This ensures fresh, green grazing pastures for the cows and, quite simply, allows “cows to be cows” (Sweet Grass Dairy).
The rich, high-fat milk of the Wehner family’s Jersey Cows makes the perfect foundation for this decadent cheese. Green Hill is a camembert style bloomy rind that is handcrafted and ripened for two weeks. The resulting cheese resembles fresh, cultured butter in color, texture, and flavor. The vibrant, velvety paste packs flavors of butter, mushroom, and hay. Sweet Grass Dairy’s award winning Green Hill is just begging to be slathered in thick smears on freshly warmed baguette.
- When eating Green Hill by itself, the cheese is at its peak when allowed to warm up to room temperature. This gives the buttery paste a chance to soften and enhances the cheese’s natural flavors. Green Hill is very easily melted so it is well suited to any dish needing some gooey deliciousness.
- Drizzle a little honey over a slightly warm wheel and serve with crunchy French bread.
- Arrange on a cheese board with jams, nuts, and crisp apples.
- Pour a glass of a white wine or sparkling wine or a crisp apple cider. Beer drinkers can pick up a Belgian Trippel ale to refresh your palate.
- To make the occasion truly sparkle, pair it with a Champagne or sparkling wine. The bubbles just cut right through the rich double cream of the cheese.
Serving Suggestions from Sweet Grass Dairy
In a Nutshell…
|Milk Type||Cow, pasteurized|
|Cheese Type||Bloomy Rind|